“In early June the world of leaf and blade and flowers explodes, and every sunset is different.”
Healthy & Simple Cilantro Lime Chicken
It’s been a busy time of study and change around here lately, which is my way of explaining my rather less than regular updates. I hope you’re all enjoying this weirdly warm weather and digging through some of the older posts for inspiration. I’ll share a few of my faves before signing off, but first, let’s talk about this wonderful fresh and bright Cilantro Lime Chicken!
This is a super cool recipe that works with really any cut of chicken you happen to have on hand or are desiring. Cooking times will, of course, have to be adjusted but the overall method ultimately remains the same. Season the chicken with spice mixture, brown if using pieces, deglaze pan, add remaining ingredients and bake.
SO SIMPLE and to say that it is intensely flavourful would be apt!
If heating up the house with the oven is not in the cards you can easily grill it instead. Make it work for your life!
To make it work for the grill I would suggest combining all the ingredients as a marinade.
Is it just me or do butterflied chickens look a little like Mick Jagger dancing?
I’ll be back soon with some more simply gorgeous recipes but in the meantime please check out some of my personal favourites!
Grilled Corn Salsa, a perfect accompaniment to any grilled meat or even just as side dish.
Enjoy & Namaste!
- 8 chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
- SPICE MIX:
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 3-4 TBSP olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed, chopped; more for garnish
- Chilli pepper finely diced (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices. Pat the chicken thighs dry, and season each thigh on both sides with the spice mix.
- Heat a good glug of olive oil in a cast iron pan or other large heavy bottomed, oven safe pan. Brown the chicken thighs on both sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside briefly.
- Lower the heat and deglaze with the white wine. Reduce by about half and then add the broth.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer then add lime juice and garlic.
- Return the chicken to the pan and toss in the cilantro.
- Bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes or so.
- Cover and transfer to the 375° Foven for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with more cilantro