“The only way to make sense of change is to plunge into it, to move with it, to join the dance.”
Decadent, Dense & Delicious!
- FOR THE APPLESAUCE CAKE:
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups applesauce
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL:
- 1 14 oz can
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Salt for sprinkling (I've used a pretty pink Himalayan as well as a Icelandic Black Lava Salt, but any flavourful salt will work)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a 9" springform pan with parchment for bottom and greased sides.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Cream the vanilla, almond extract, butter, sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well mixed.
- Mix in the applesauce.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed and pour into prepared springform..
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes away clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- This cake freezes well when well wrapped.
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- In a saucepan, bring the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar and butter to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir constantly and allow to boil for 3-5 minutes. It should be like a thick pudding. It should also be noted that cooking sugar is REALLLLLLY HOT!
- Drizzle over the cake and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve extra caramel sauce on the side for those who may want a bit more... they all will!