“Without obsession, life is nothing.”
7 Spice Chicken with Cannellini Beans
I’ve written often about how food was a central theme running through my upbringing. I’ve told you many times about my Sittoo’s kitchen and how her passion for all things culinary shaped the way I think about food, and indeed life. I’ve talked about how my Father’s zeal in the kitchen was legendary among friends and family alike. I’ve told you about how my siblings have a similar zest for being in the kitchen and creating beautiful meals.
What I haven’t mentioned is how it can cause some (read:many) to sit back in amazement as I talk incessantly about food… discussing lunch over breakfast and dinner over lunch, what I will cook tomorrow/next week/next spring, how I might change the way in which any given recipe is created.
Of course it’s lots of fun when one is with like minded people. But when one is NOT with similarly obsessed sorts one might consider shutting up… but not me… I’m no quitter! I just carry right on planning, re-designing, cooking and jotting down my never ending grocery list.
This is one of those recipes that I had saved to my pinterest boards as a “gotta try” kind of recipe. I realized I had pinned about five versions of basically the same thing! So I did what I usually do… I took a little from this and a little from that and made it my own.
Even at this early stage in the preparation the aroma is INTOXICATING!
The Braised lemons will make you want to throw them into everything you make forever more!
I guess you could say that I have truly found my calling… now whatever shall I share with you next week… hmmmm… let’s see… 🙂
Enjoy & Namaste!
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ cup sriracha chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium lemon, very thinly sliced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (although I like to use a combination of breasts and thighs)
- 2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 box grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Mix first 9 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Cut chicken into largish bite-sized chunks and toss about half the seasoning into the bowl stirring to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Sauté for several minutes until mostly cooked through. Remove from pan and place in a large oven-safe dish.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining oil mixture with the beans, tomatoes, lemon slices and ½ cup cilantro, stirring gently to coat.
- Add to dish with chicken, surrounding chicken, but not covering. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Roast until chicken is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with ½ cup cilantro.
- Serve with brown rice and Greek yogurt or Cucumber Leban