“The only way to make sense of change is to plunge into it, to move with it, to join the dance.”
Decadent, Dense & Delicious!
I am a very firm believer in shopping locally and cooking seasonally. I try to reflect that here within the recipes and essays on Be Still & Eat. I had originally planned a different assortment of recipes over the next few weeks to share with you, but I am also a very firm believer in change being good for the soul. Yes, it often comes across as more “fly by the seat of your pants” but I prefer to think of it as adaptability.
Instead of a cozy late winter dinner and a side dish featuring the hope of spring soon to come, I’m offering you a recipe I had originally planned to share with you a little closer to apple picking season. And what is the reason for this you may be wondering? Because I really like the photograph and when I plan on taking a few weeks away from regular updates I like to leave the front page with a really pretty view. Simple as that!
There are a few reasons I’ll be taking a short break from Be Still & Eat, and two of the reasons are rather exciting for me. The first of which is that I will be traveling to the UK for a short but HIGHLY anticipated trip with my family. I can absolutely be counted on to share some of the time on my Instagram account so do feel free to pop over there if you want to see what I’m getting up to. I’ll also definitely come back with some inspiration to share with you here.
The other bit of excitement is that I’ve recently been commissioned by Foodland Ontario to develop some recipes. As their message of shop local/cook seasonally aligns so closely with my own, I’m sure you can imagine how quickly I leapt at this wonderful opportunity. More on that to follow.
In the meantime, I will leave you with my very best wishes, a promise to return in mid April and this truly memorable recipe for Applesauce Cake with Salted Caramel.
Enjoy & Namaste!
Salted Caramel Applesauce Cake
- FOR THE APPLESAUCE CAKE:
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups applesauce
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL:
- 1 14 oz can
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Salt for sprinkling (I've used a pretty pink Himalayan as well as a Icelandic Black Lava Salt, but any flavourful salt will work)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a 9" springform pan with parchment for bottom and greased sides.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Cream the vanilla, almond extract, butter, sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well mixed.
- Mix in the applesauce.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed and pour into prepared springform..
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes away clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- This cake freezes well when well wrapped.
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- In a saucepan, bring the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar and butter to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir constantly and allow to boil for 3-5 minutes. It should be like a thick pudding. It should also be noted that cooking sugar is REALLLLLLY HOT!
- Drizzle over the cake and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve extra caramel sauce on the side for those who may want a bit more... they all will!