“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.”
Grilled Eggplant with Charred Greens & Spiced Yogurt
I’ve just returned home from a quick trip to the grocery store where I had a jolt for which I was wholly unprepared.
It’s like that inevitable changeover on November 1st every year. You know the one, where all the stores take the smiling sequinned pumpkins out of their windows and hang images of Santa. Seems a little premature no? Maybe it’s just a Canadian thing but I can state, as a Canadian, that early August is simply too soon to be considering putting ‘mums in the planters thank you very much. Our summers are quite short enough!
In fact it was only this past weekend that I had a wonderful conversation with one of the farmers at the market about his gourds (please feel free to share your inevitable “farmers gourds” jokes in the comments section:) He was quite funny about the whole matter defining the squash that I was asking about as art work in both looks and taste. He was smiling and caressing the squash (Yup, he honestly was) talking lovingly about its striking colouration and how they are available for only a very short time. He rhapsodized about the bounty available from his fields during these gorgeous summer months. His adoration for this time of year was contagious. I almost didn’t want to leave his booth where clearly it might remain August forever.
And so I ask you, is this time when farmers are waxing poetic about produce that we should be considering looking towards autumn? No I say! NO!
So on that note I leave you with a beautiful summery grilled side dish so that we might all celebrate these fabulous, hot and sunny days, however few of them may actually be remaining.
This side dish was originally served at Be Still & Eat HQ with Grilled Short Ribs and the combo was mouthwateringly amazing. And the spiced yogurt component may have you considering serving it on virtually everything you turn out of your kitchen! Well, I did at any rate 🙂
Enjoy & Namaste!
- 2 medium Japanese eggplants (or 1 globe) cut into ½ inch slices
- ¾ tsp tumeric
- 6 TBSP olive oil (divided for use in varying stages)
- 2 large bunches HARDY greens, Swiss chard or kale
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp garam masal or curry powder
- lemon wedges for serving
- Toss eggplant with turmeric and 2 TBSP oil, season with S&P
- Grill eggplant on medium high heat until tender and charred in spots, 5-8 minutes, transfer to large bowl.
- Toss greens with 2 TBSP oil
- Grill greens, turning often until lightly charred in spots, about 2-3 minutes, transfer to cutting board and remove thick stems and ribs and chop into large but manageable pieces
- Transfer greens to bowl with eggplant
- Add mint leaves and 2 TBSP oil and toss to combine
- Mix yogurt and garam masala or curry in a bowl and season with S&P as necessary
- Spoon yogurt onto serving platter and top with greens and eggplant mixture.
- Drizzle lightly with high quality olive oil and a few more mint leaves to garnish