“And now we welcome the new year. Full of things that have never been.”
Rainer Maria Rilker
Bacon & Eggs Italian Style!
You know those days you wake up and go… “Oh Man I really need to eat pasta.” Today may very well be one of those days for some of perhaps even all of you. Happy New Year by the way 🙂
This is one of those recipes that is rather flexible (as all good recipes should be and hopefully you didn’t try to show everyone at the party last night that you are too… oh wait that was probably me). You can likely make do with whatever you might have on hand and accomplish a fair approximation and deliciousness!
I won’t take up too much more of your time chattering away about how awesome this recipe is or describing the many different variations of it I’ve made. Suffice to say that once you see how easy it is to accomplish something so satisfying and yes even healing you might add it to your regular routine of “Oh no~I have nothing in the fridge and all the stores are closed” kind of recipes.
And so I leave you with a gorgeous rendition of Pasta Alla Carbonara (and if required a reminder to drink plenty of water:)
Enjoy & Namaste!
- Pancetta (or bacon if that's what you happen to have on hand) 2 slice per person
- 2 eggs (per person)
- Parmesan cheese (preferably freshly grated) ¼ cup per person
- Heavy cream (Optional) 2 TBSP per person
- Chilli pepper flakes (to taste)
- Lemon juice (to taste)
- S&P (to taste)
- Penne pasta
- Heat pan
- Saute pancetta until rendered and perfectly golden brown and delicious.
- Remove pan from heat and scoop most of the rendered fat out of the pan and discard.
- Combine eggs, cheese and cream if using in a small bowl.
- Cook pasta until al dente and drain in colander. I prefer to use a large slotted spoon and scoop the pasta directly into the pancetta pan to preserve not only the heat but also as much of the natural starch as possible... if you do drain the pasta in a colander be certain not rinse the pasta... ever... for any recipe please 🙂
- Working quickly now, add the egg mixture to the warm pasta and toss to combine, seasoning as you go with chilli peppers, salt and pepper. The heat from the pasta will cook the eggs but you don't want to scramble them so be careful if you return the pan to even the lowest temperature!
- Finish with a splash of lemon juice and perhaps a little more grated parmesan.