“Your imagination is your life’s previews to coming attractions.”
Addictive & Healthy! Who could ask for more!
I’m always looking for new ideas for healthy snacks. If I can find one that has protein in it, I’m beside myself with glee! So you can imagine my happiness when a friend was raving about the chickpea “croutons” she’d had in a salad at a dinner party recently.
I fell into a trance of sorts imagining the different possible seasoning ideas for roasting these healthy little devils. I’m pretty sure I missed most of the rest of the story about how the dinner party went, and I think there was some juicy drama based on the excited, yet hushed tone of my friend’s voice!
After much imagining, I chose to go with a spicy garlic combo for this batch, but I know there are so many options and I encourage you to experiment!
- Worchestershire sauce
- garlic & oregano
- tarragon (for that lovely anisette flavour)
- cinnamon & sugar
- curry powder (made these too… OH YUM!!!)
- chilli powder
I would suggest that any way you decide to try them they will need some type of oil to bind the seasoning to the chick peas. You will want to be careful to not OVER moisten them however… you want them more on the crunchy side rather than the soggy side. Soggy… isn’t that just the saddest word?
And speaking of soggy, I tried them with honey and ginger as well… sounds yum doesn’t it? Well they smelled AMAZING, and I’ll admit that the flavour was also quite lovely, however… soggy… yes soggy. I haven’t given up entirely but for the time being I can’t recommend doing a hon-ified version
If you’re going with savoury, then an olive oil will work well, but if sweeter is your preference then choose a milder oil like a vegetable oil.
These are just a few right off the top of my head! I for one will definitely be experimenting with some of these ideas as this first batch has been a BIG hit! They’re also pretty neat as they’re not only healthy and protein packed but also wonderful in salads, soups or just eaten by themselves.
And now besides getting a great and deliciously healthy recipe, you have also learned that if you want me to get the ENTIRE gist of what you are sharing, then it is best not to get me too excited with cooking ideas BEFORE you tell me a juicy story!
Enjoy & Namaste!
- 1 - 12 oz tin of chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 - 2 tsp chilli pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Drain and rinse chick peas, shaking as many of the skins loose as possible. This step helps if you find them slightly gas inducing. Some chefs insist on removing ALL the skins. That seems like an awful lot of work to me!
- Pat the chick peas dry.
- Toss all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Spread chick peas in one layer on a baking dish
- Bake until browned but not burned, although one or two that get a little crispier is kind of nice actually, watching carefully toward the end of cooking as they can burn quickly. About 90 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning while still warm.