“We need four things to survive life; bread, water, oxygen & dreams.”
A perfect savoury treat
As most of you know I am bread obsessed.
I think about bread, read about bread and cook bread constantly. Making sourdough with my beloved natural starter is not realistic every day and so I must come up with solutions to curb the desire. This lovely little quick bread is just the answer.
Cheddar and chive is one of only about a million possible flavour profiles you could apply to the basic recipe. The only thing I will suggest is that you pay attention to when choosing what to substitute, do bear in mind the moisture content your additions will bring. It makes a difference to the final cooking time.
It’s the simplest of recipes with no special equipment required. Combine ingredients and stir! Maybe I should have called it “No Excuses Bread”.
The ingredients come together in about 10 minutes and the aroma that wafts out of the oven while it’s cooking is intoxicating!
I like the salt and pepper crunch on the top crust. I think I’m going to try mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes and basil on the next go round, maybe even swirl in a bit of balsamic!
Making simple recipes with real ingredients is something else I’m obsessed with. Inspiring you to do the same is my life’s work.
Enjoy & Namaste!
- ½ large zucchini, grated and set to drain in fine sieve
- 1 cup crumbled old cheddar, set aside
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh chives, set aside
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a loaf pan (9x5) with parchment paper
- Mix together dry ingredients, add wet ingredients mix to combine
- Add zucchini, cheddar and chives, stirring gently to incorporate
- Top with S&P
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until toothpick comes away clean